It is widely known that virgin coconut oil has tremendous benefits for health and wellness. Its efficacy transcends beyond consumption as nowadays people can cook with virgin coconut oil (VCO).
In this article, we delve into the possibility of using VCO in the kitchen and where to buy cooking coconut oil.
Benefits of Cooking With Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has been considered as a cure-all product and not only focused on beauty purposes. Now, the coconut has risen to prominence in the kitchens too.
Even better, virgin coconut oil can be used for cooking due to these properties:
- High smoke point – 350F for baking and sautéing
- Antioxidant polyphenol.
- Anti-inflammable properties
- Animal friendly alternative to butter
- Long shelf life
- Can be used in baking, frying and greasing pan (solid form in Room Temperature)
Based on all of these benefits, it’s definitely a best choice to pick out virgin coconut oil as kitchen cooking oil despite the other oils that are available out there.
Coconut Is Healthier
There are many reasons to support the health benefits of coconut oil. It also has been widely marketed as a super food or healthy food by researchers.
If you are already familiar with the Keto diet, you probably might have heard of Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs).
The MCTs contribute a lot to your body by ensuring you receive the amount of nutrition and stay healthy.
Here are several evidences that portray coconut and MCTs provides health benefits to the consumers:
1) Help Lessen the Abdominal Fat
The presence of fatty acids in coconut oil helps to reduce consumer’s appetite and increase the fat burning on the consumer’s abdominal body part.
However, MCTs are still the one who play a major role to reduce belly fat effectively.
2) Boost Brain Function in Alzheimer’s disease
Studies show that people with Alzheimer’s disease may be facing their brain to have less ability to use glucose for energy.
To reduce the symptoms, the patients need to consume MCTs as it helps to enhance their brain functions.
MCTs can increase the blood levels of ketones, which acts as an alternative energy source and supply them to the brain cells of Alzheimer’s people and relieve symptoms.
3) May Reduce Seizures
The increasing amount of ketones may help to reduce the rate of seizures in children with epilepsy.
Therefore, the researchers suggested consuming coconut oil as MCTs in coconut oil will transport into the liver and turn them into ketones.
The researchers also have effectively used ketogenic diet as one of the treatment diets and drug-resistant epilepsy for various disorders to the children with epilepsy.
4) May Reduce Hunger
Consuming MCTs coconut oil cooking has the potential to steer you to lose weight in the long term.
That is because the ketone plays a role to reduce your desire to eat and satiate your appetite. This results in you eating less calories per meal in a day.
5) Promote Fat Burning
It is undeniable that one research shows consuming 30 grams of MCTs per day raises the 24 hour energy expenditure by 5% and is able to increase the amount of calories body burns.
However, there is no study specifically portraying the effects of consuming coconut oil may contribute to the same effectiveness like MCTs.
That is because coconut oil contains high calories, which might steer you in gaining weight instead.
Fat Amount and Calorie
In contrast to other fruits with high carbs, coconut mostly supplies the greatest amount of fat (in MCTs form) and is highly nutritious with many functions in your body.
Here are the several tables of coconut oil, flakes and meats’ calories and fat contents, according to its weight variance.
1) 1 cup (100 Grams) of Raw and Dried Coconut Meat
|Raw coconut meat||Dried coconut meat|
|Fat||33 grams||65 grams|
2) 1 cup (80 Grams) of Fresh Shredded Coconut Meat
|Shredded coconut meat|
3) 1/3 cup of Coconut Flakes
4) 1 tablespoon of Coconut Oil
Simple Things You Can Cook With Coconut Oil
Now it is time to sneak it into your meals with these easy recipes using virgin coconut oil.
1) Pumpkin Bread with Toasted Coconut
- Non-stick vegetable oil spray
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil (warm)
- 2 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Lightly coat loaf pan with non-stick spray (line with parchment paper, on all sides).
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, all spices, nutmeg and cloves in a big bowl.
- Whisk eggs, pumpkin, brown sugar and oil in another big bowl.
- Mix in all dry ingredients together.
- Scrap batter into prepared pan, smooth top and sprinkle pumpkin seeds, coconut and granulated sugar.
- Bake bread until it changes into golden brown colour.
- Bake it for around 50 – 60 minutes (until the tester inserted comes out clean).
- Transfer pan to a wire rack and let the bread cool down for 30 minutes.
- Finally, turn out on a wire rack and let it cool completely.
2) Puffed Rice and Coconut Crunchies
- 1/2 cup plain puffed brown rice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil (warm liquefy)
- 1 ½ teaspoons brown rice syrup or pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Throw in puffed rice, coconut flakes, coconut oil, brown rice syrup, sesame seeds, poppy seeds and paprika on a rimmed baking sheet – ensure rice and coconut are evenly coated.
- Season with salt.
- Roast them until the coconut turns a golden brown colour.
- Finally, let it cool.
To conclude, virgin coconut oil has numerous benefits for health as well as for cooking purposes.
Should you be looking for coconut oil, we recommend BioTropical.
BioTropical is a Malaysian producer of Premium Grade Coconut Oil that is packed with the best nutrition for your internal health.
Harmful chemicals such as Parabens, Sulphates and alcohol are not inside the oil.
BioTropical strives for natural cooking oil and pure products to the customers for all ranges and lifestyles.
BioTropical Coconut Cooking Oil contains saturated fats and good cholesterol which aid to increase HDL in blood and reduce the storage of fats in the body respectively.
Since it is made 100% from Malaysian coconut, you may use it to fry and cook food. It is the best alternative to cook your favourite cuisine.
You should not worry because it won’t alter the taste of the food because one of the processes to make the coconut cooking oil is to remove its taste.
You can also get combo of BioTropical products:
- Coconut Cooking Oil + Hand Sanitizer
- Coconut Cooking Oil + Virgin Coconut Oil + Hand Sanitizers
Check out more Bio Tropical products in our shops here.
Contact us for enquiries.